Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Apparently Natural Hair Isn't for Everyone

                       
Last night I made a quick run to my local Kroger to pick up some food for the boy. The grocery bag girl (black) at the checkout looked at me and complimented me on my hair. She was so fascinated with it. The cashier, (white) responded oddly from her fascination. Here's how the conversation went:

Bag girl:"OMG, your hair is so cute.Is your hair natural?"
Me:"Thank you.Yea it is."
Bag girl:"I see alot of people with natural  hair and it be so cute.I think I may try it."                
Cashier:"Well her hair(referring to me) may  be cute,but natural hair isn't for everyone(referring to the bag girl)
Bag girl:"I know,but it's just so cute."
Cashier:"Yea,well just because her hair is   cute,doesn't mean your hair will be cute.Again, natural hair isn't for everyone."


I couldn't help feeling some kind of way about the cashier's comments. What the hell did she mean by that? What gives her the right to discourage anyone from going natural? I really felt like kicking myself for not saying anything or for not encouraging the young woman to go natural. I had just left a natural hair meeting before going to the grocery store so that made matters even worse. I just didn't like the fact that a white woman was hinting to a black woman that it probably wasn't a good idea to go natural. Who is she to say that natural hair doesn't look good on everyone? Next time, I will definitely speak up.





No comments:

Post a Comment